Modern comfortable rooms and warm hospitality provided by:
Lark and Laurel Bed and Breakfast
Grand Union Hotel
Local arrangements, logistics, wisdom and care provided by:
The town of Fort Benton
Want to read up on the place? Get in a Montana mood?
- Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West, Stephen Ambrose
- This House of Sky, Ivan Doig
- Indian Creek Chronicles: a winter alone in the wilderness, Pete Fromm
- Tough Trip Through Paradise, Andrew Garcia
- The Big Sky, A.B. Guthrie
- The Last Best Place: a Montana anthology, William Kettridge
- We Pointed Them North: Recollections of a Cowpuncher, E.C. “Teddy Blue” Smith and Helena Huntington Smith
Central Montana is known as “Charlie Russell Country.” Russell lived, worked and painted here with an eye for detail and a sense of humor that charmed people then, and charms people now. We will stand in some of the same places portrayed in his paintings.
Lewis and Clark
This is also Lewis and Clark country. Fort Benton is surrounded by scenes and sites described in their journals, and though fields have replaced much of the prairie, it is still an everyday occurrence to see a view no different than the view they saw in 1805.